of the Kalich Family
by Gloria Schwenke East
1883, Josef Kalich (also spelled Kahlig/Kahlich) 51
years old, with his wife Magdalena Hauptmann Kalich, 39
years old, came with their families to Galveston from
Moravia, Austria, now the Czech Republic, having left
Bremen, Germany, on the vessel Weser on the ninth of
September, and arriving on the First of October. They
brought the following children: Josef, 19 years; Franz,
17 years; Anna, 14 years; Eduard, 7 years, Stefan, 5
years, and Antonín, 2 years.
They were a German-speaking family from Haebendorf (Polouvsi),
a little village near Jesenika n/Odrou, not far from
Nový Jicín. This area of northern Moravia was colonized
by German families as early as the 14th and 15th
centuries. A group of German Moravians from this area of
Moravia emigrated to the High Hill area of Fayette
County as early as 1860.
Josef Kalich was the
son of farmers in Jesenika. In November, 1863, he was
commander of Patrol 332 of the Field Foresters. He
married Magdalena Hauptman, daughter of Antoni and
Elizabeth Hauptman from Jesenika.
Kalichs lived near Weimer for three to four years and
then bought 299 acres of land situated 17 miles
southwest of La Grange in Muldoon League # 13 on Rocky
Creek, a tributary of the Navidad River, in Fayette
County. They purchased the property from William and
Theresa Herder on June 12, 1888, for $4,300--payable in
Mission: To provide a facility for
the preservation of the history of polka music, song and
dance with displays of memorabilia associated with the
Club; to recognize supporters of the mission, provide a
facility where visitors may both listen to and dance
polka music; and to operate as an outreach facility for
the education of future generations in the promotion of
polka music and dance.
The Polka Lovers Club of Texas Museum
located in the restored late 1870’s Anton, Jr. and
Elizabeth Bruse Hoelscher haus in the Texas Czech
Village on the grounds of the 70-acre Texas Czech
Heritage and Cultural Center in La Grange, TX opened for
visitors on May 13, 2006.
Tour hours are: Friday, Saturday, and Sunday from
10:30 a.m. until 4:00 p.m.
On weekdays by appointment and 24 hours’ notice.
Call the Texas Czech Heritage and Cultural Center
(TCHCC) at 979-968-9399 or 1-888-785-4500.
Anton Hoelscher, Sr. and Mary
Katherine Daldrop Hoelscher with their family immigrated
from Olfen, Germany in 1846. Children of this marriage
who made their home in Texas were Mary, Anton Jr.,
Joseph (Joe), William, and Ben (Johann Bernard). Anton
Hoelscher Jr. married Anna Marie Elizabeth Ahsen-Bruse
on April 5, 1847.
In the early 1850’s Anton Jr. and his
wife Elizabeth bought land near Live Oak Hill where they
built their first home, a log cabin. They then built two
other homes before the turn of the century. One of these
homes is now known as the Polka Lovers Club of Texas
Museum- Hoelscher Haus.
In October 2005, Esther and Henry
Hoelscher of Houston made a gift of the Hoelscher Haus
to the Polka Lovers Club of Texas Museum. The haus was
relocated to the grounds of the Texas Czech Heritage and
Cultural Center, Inc., (TCHCC) in La Grange, TX.
The haus is of the salt box
architecture with a long porch across the front with two
rooms on the lower floor for displays and two rooms
upstairs for storage, exhibit preparation and office
In 1995, the Smithsonian Institution invited the Czech
Republic to participate in the annual "Festival of American Folklife" in Washington, D.C. Materials for the belfry were
transported by ship from the Czech Republic to Washington, DC where
the belfry was first constructed on the National Mall of the United
States during the festival, June 23 through July 4. The bell was
cast in Halenkov, Czech Republic especially for this occasion by
Josef Tkadlec. The strong friendship between Victor Peter of Houston
and Dr. Jaroslav Stika, Museum Director of the Wallachian Open Air
Museum in Roznov pod Radhostem led to the Czech Republic's decision
that the bell and belfry should be given to the Czech Heritage Society
At the end of the festival, the bell and belfry were disassembled
and transported to Runge, Texas where they were stored for 14 months
on Mr. Ladislav Zezula's ranch while a search was conducted to select
a site for reassembly. The bell and belfry were later moved and
reassembled in Praha, Texas in September/October of 1996. On Sunday,
November 10, 1996, the bell and belfry were dedicated in memory
of the late Victor Alfons Peter. In 2003, the belfry was given to
the Texas Czech Heritage and Cultural Center, Inc., in La Grange,
Texas by the Czech Heritage Society of Texas and was moved and reassembled
at its permanent location at the TCHCC in July of the same year.
The Czech Heritage Society will retain ownership of the existing
bell, replacing it with a replica to be cast at a later date. The
relocation of the bell and belfry from Praha, Texas to the TCHCC
was graciously donated by Kana Brothers House Leveling and Moving
of La Grange, and Hudec's Service and Supply of Weimar. The Fort
Bend County Czech Heritage Society has graciously undertaken overseeing
the maintenance of the Bell and Belfry for the upcoming year.
Migl House was constructed in 1890 by
the family of Frantiek Migl. Most of the construction materials
were 1 x 12 long-leaf pine boards for the outside walls, beaded tongue-in-grove
internal wallboards, tongue-and-groove boards for the flooring, wood shingles
for the roofing and, of course, heavier timbers for the framing. The cost
of the material for the house was approximately $350.00. The house initially
consisted of a front porch, parlor/bedroom, dining room, dirt-floor kitchen,
upstairs bedroom for the grandchildren, and a small porch next to the
kitchen in the back. In 1902, the land was sold to the Rab brothers.
In the 1920's, an addition to the house
was made by the Rabs. The kitchen was replace with a bedroom and the back
porch was extended. The kitchen was made a part of the dining room. Also
at this time, siding was installed on the outside walls and a lightning
protection system was installed. The outside was never painted, just oil
was brushed on. Screens on the windows and screen doors were installed
until the 1930's when the house was wired for electricity.
In 1970, when the Jasek brothers purchased
the land with the house, the house was off its foundation, leaning over
with no roofing, windows broken, porches destroyed, and cattle droppings
throughout the house and a family of opossums in the attic. The first thought
was--let's burn it down. But finding that this house was part of their
heritage, they agreed to restore it. Neither one of them lived near the
property. They were only able to work on it during their vacations. After
a few years, they were able to live in the house during their stays.
In 1987, the brothers divided the property.
Vaclav (Jim) got the house in the division. He continue to live in Baton
Rouge and with "old age catching up", he knew he would not be
"able to take proper care of the house for much longer." "This
house, being part of the Migl's heritage, should be preserved for the
future generations, "said Vaclav (Jim) Jasek.
In 2000, I decided to donate the house
to the TCHCC, after looking into many alternatives. I believe the TCHCC
is structured to be functioning for many, many years.
The Migl descendents have agreed to
restore the house according to TCHCC guidelines and to move the house
to the Center. The Migl's ask that at least one room be reserved for their
memorabilia, pictures, immigration papers, book of descendents with possibly
a computer, etc. In addition, the family will maintain a committee to
make repairs to the house, etc. as needed at the Center.
THE FRANK F. HLUCHANEK FAMILY
Carolyn Sumbera Heinsohn
Frank F. Hluchanek was born in
Frenstat pod Radhostem, Moravia in the Empire of Austria
on May 23, 1860, the son of Frantisek and Barbora Dusek
Hluchanek. In 1880 at the age of 20, Frank (Frantisek)
left the port of Bremen, Germany, sailing on the America
with his mother Barbara Dusek Hluchanek Hyl, born in
June, 1822; sister Anna, born on July 16, 1853, and
brother, Antonin, born on June 5, 1863. They arrived in
Galveston on September 29, 1880.
Frank’s mother was the daughter of
Josef and Terezie Schlesinger Dusek; she married
Frantisek Hluchanek on February 4, 1846. Records from
the Czech Republic show that they had seven children,
two of them whom died young. After Frantisek died, she
married Frantisek Hyl on November 27, 1865. He was born
on September 20, 1835, the son of Urban and Josefa
Fialka Hyl. Since he did not emigrate to Texas with his
wife, Barbora Hluchanek Hyl, it is unknown whether he
died, chose not to emigrate, or if the marriage
dissolved prior to Barbora’s emigration.
On February 20, 1882, Frank F.
Hluchanek married Genoveva (Jenovefa) Adamcik, the
daughter of Josef and Alzbeta Parma Adamcik. She was
born on December 27, 1857 in House #128 in Frenstat pod
Radhostem, Moravia in the Empire of Austria. Her
application for emigration was dated February 6, 1872;
however, her actual date of emigration to Texas is
unknown – possibly she came with her mother, Alzbeta,
and other siblings in April, 1880 into New Orleans on
Frank F. and Genoveva had three
daughters; however, Genoveva died after the birth of her
daughter, born in May 1886, and before November, 1886,
when Frank purchased his farm, without mention of a
- Elizabeth, born in November, 1882; died in
Colorado County on December 16, 1980.
- Francisca, born August 15, 1884, baptized at
Bluff, Texas – godparents were John and Johanna
Smajstrla. She married William Cernosek; both are
buried in Smithville, Texas.
- Hermina, born May 23, 1886, baptized at Bluff,
Texas – godparents were John and Johanna Smajstrla.
She married Rudolf Kana; both are buried in El
On November 12, 1886, Frank F.
Hluchanek purchased 100 acres of farm land in the W.
Alley league about eight miles southeast of La Grange,
Texas in the Holman area from James M. and Jane Martin
for $2000.00; $500 paid in cash with three notes of
$500.00 to be paid yearly through 1889. The notes were
not paid off until October 15, 1897.
On July 7, 1887, Frank filed his
Declaration of Intent to naturalize with the Fayette
County District Clerk (Vol. D., p. 258). He became a
naturalized citizen on December 14, 1899 (Vol. 2, p.
153, File Box). There is a discrepancy, however, between
the date found in the passenger list for his arrival in
Galveston and the dates he submitted for his Declaration
of Intent, where he stated that his departure from
Bremen was October 15, 1880, and his arrival in
Galveston was on November 15, 1880. The date found in
the passenger list is probably more accurate, since the
dates he submitted for his Declaration Intent were based
On March 4, 1889, Frank F. Hluchanek
married Antonia Naiser (Najser), the daughter of Karel
(Carl) and Johanna Naiser (Najser), born on September 2,
1867 in Ratimov, Silesia, now known as Vratimov,
Moravia, Czech Republic. She emigrated to Texas with her
family at the age of 14 in 1881. They settled in the
It is believed that circa late 1880s
after Genoveva’s death and the purchase of his farm,
Frank Hluchanek built a three-room house for his family
prior to his marriage to Antonia. There was a parlor,
bedroom and a combination kitchen/dining room
downstairs; a spacious attic was used as a sleeping area
for the children. In 1915, as their family grew, the
kitchen was converted into a dining room, and another
kitchen was added onto the back of the house. The back
porch was extended into an L-shape. Later, after the
Salas family moved into the house, they enclosed part of
the back porch adjacent to the kitchen, first to make a
room for bathing, washing clothes and storage, etc. Then
they divided that room up to create an actual bathroom
with a tub, sink and toilet. The door to the bathroom
opened up onto the porch. The other half continued to be
used for a hot water heater, washing clothes and
storage. Kitchen cabinets and a sink were added to the
kitchen. The Salas’ also built a closet in the bedroom
and added a vented pantry and closet in the dining room.
Frank and Antonia had seven children; their first
child arrived nine months after their marriage.
- Mary (Marie), born in December 1889; married
Rudolph Hajovsky and moved to East Gate, Texas.
- Emil Reimond, born in October, 1891; married
Mary Stavinoha. they lived in Weimar, Texas, where
he worked as a clerk in a dry goods store. He died
on June 24, 1948 at 56 years of age of cancer of the
throat with metastasis to the cervical lymph nodes;
he and his wife are buried in St. Michael’s Cemetery
in Weimar, Texas.
- Joseph Raymond, born on October 19, 1893;
married first wife, Bettie ?; second wife was
Elizabeth Adamcik. He died on January 18, 1967 in
Caldwell, Texas of pneumonia and carcinoma of the
kidney with pulmonary metastasis; he is buried in
the San Antonio Prairie Cemetery in Burleson County
between Caldwell and Dime Box.
- Zophie (Sophie), born on May 5, 1897 in Holman,
Texas; married Jim J. Petrash, born on July 20,
1894. They lived in San Antonio, Texas, where she
died on January 15, 1972; Jim died on November 29,
1981; both are buried in the St. Wencelaus Catholic
Cemetery in Holman, Texas.
- Alois Albert (Louis), born on May 29, 1900,
baptized in Ammannsville; married Albina Louise
Faldyn, born October 10, 1901. They first farmed
near his parents’ farm after their marriage; then
Louis worked for Albert Naiser, who owned the
Mullins Prairie store. Later, they moved to La
Grange, where Louis worked at a grocery store. He
died in La Grange on January 19, 1969 of a cerebral
hemorrhage and arteriosclerotic heart disease; he
and his wife are buried in the La Grange City
- Frank, Jr., born on February 5, 1903, baptized
in Ammannsville; lived at home with his parents;
after his mother’s death, he continued living with
his father, helping with the farming. After his
father moved away from the farm, Frank, Jr. moved to
Columbus, where he worked at a convenience store. He
died on November 4, 1985 and was buried in Holman,
- John, born on March 23, 1905, baptized in
Ammannsville; married Frances Hajovsky, born April
25, 1910 in Holman. They first farmed in Holman, but
then moved to Columbus. John died on January 11,
1984; Frances died on November 30, 1979; both are
buried in Holman, Texas.
The 1900 Census shows that Alois, who
was born in 1900, was already born, and that all of the
children were living at home with their parents. Frank’s
mother, Barbora, was also living with them. It also
shows that Barbora had eight children, four of whom were
still living, which is different from the Czech records.
Antonia Hluchanek died on August 6,
1934 at 66 years of age of pneumonia and chronic
Bright’s Disease (kidney disease). She was buried at the
Catholic Cemetery in Holman, Texas.
Frank F. Hluchanek continued to live
on their farm with his son, Frank, Jr., until 1939, when
he moved to El Campo to live with his daughter and
son-in-law, Hermina and Rudolph Kana. Frank died in El
Campo on January 7, 1950 of a cerebral hemorrhage due to
arteriosclerosis. He was buried next to Antonia in the
Catholic Cemetery in Holman, Texas.
An additional 21 acres had been added
to the original Hluchanek farm, which was sold to Anton
and Mary Spacek Salas on February 6, 1940 by the
descendants of Frank and Antonia. The Salas family moved
to the farm in December, 1939, renting it until the farm
was sold to them following Frank’s death.
The authentic circa 1904
Double Log Corn Crib with Dog Trot was donated by Hilda
Fajkus and Sylvia Ratcliffe of Cistern, moved to the
site by Kana Brothers Moving Company, and restored by
Ed, Ernest and David Vasek of Plum.
store was donated to TCHCC by Roy Bucek of Schulenburg.
The store is part of an early Czech Texas village and
displays early places where immigrants would meet, and
purchase necessary staples.
Among the items on the TCHCC's wish list as part of the Center
was an old-time dance pavilion. When the City of La Grange approached
the TCHCC to see if they would be interested in managing the Round-Up
Hall which is located on the Fayette County Fairgrounds immediately
adjacent to the Center's seventy-five acres, the TCHCC board took
this offer under serious consideration. Understanding the obligations
that would come with assuming the management of such a facility,
the TCHCC Board decided to assume management of the Round-Up Hall
and have now revived its original name of "Fair Pavilion."
The Fair Pavilion was first built in 1925 and over the years has
served as an integral place for people of La Grange and the surrounding
area to meet and enjoy themselves at dances and various types of
gatherings. The Fair Pavilion was originally owned by the Fair Association,
which subsequently sold the facility to the City of La Grange in
1935. The Round-Up Association, a non-profit organization which
raised money to benefit the youth of the La Grange area, was the
last to manage the dance pavilion before the TCHCC took over management.
Plans are underway to apply for preservation grants
to help restore this wonderful facility, all the while being sure
to maintain the architectural integrity of the structure. The TCHCC
Board feels that this facility will provide an enticing venue for
weddings, social and fraternal gatherings, and dances. Discussions
are underway at present about the possibility of the decorating
the outside-covered patio area as a Czech beer garden, possibly
to be called U Kalicha of the Good Soldier Schwejk fame.
The TCHCC feels that the Pavilion will provide a
wonderful complement to the Amphitheatre, located not too far from
the Pavilion, and will allow for the scheduling of various types
of performances that may able to take advantage of the two facilities
at the same time. Anyone interested in renting the Fair Pavilion
should contact the TCHCC for a pricing schedule. For more information
call (toll-free): 1-888-785-4500.